Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Frank Lloyd Wright Appreciation Day I

We went on a Frank Lloyd Wright architectural splurge today (ok, really on 28 September, but I'm running really behind) in Chicago's Oak Park. There are a stack of FLW buildings in this area, including: 

Robie House by you.
 
Home & Studio I by you.
FLW's home and studio, where he worked for the first 20 years of his career.

Unity Temple I by you.

I have been a big fan of FLW since I saw a documentary years ago spanning his career, although I can't remember what it was called. I find it amazing how contemporary his work looks even now, despite a lot of it being designed in the first half of the 20th century. 

By this time, we were ready for dinner, and T had tracked down just the place: El Faro, a Mexican place with vegetarian and vegan options. It was a great little place with vinyl booths, and I think we were the only gringos in there. We then had tickets for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Riviera. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the show. Yes, they performed well, but it all seemed a little.......flat. The main problem I had with the show was the setlist - he doesn't seem to have any courage at all when it comes to putting a show together. No surprises - Deanna, The Mercy Seat, Red Right Hand, God is in the House (why this one keeps being trotted out is beyond me). I just don't understand why with such an amazing and voluminous back catalogue, the same songs keep getting recycled at each show. Maybe it is just me (and T), as the rest of the audience were loving it. 

No comments: